Frequently Asked Questions & Answers
1. How extensive is the work of the Christian Reformed Church through Christian Reformed World Missions (CRWM)?
2. How does CRWM meet its financial needs and how are the funds used?
3. How much does it cost to support the ministry of a missionary for one year?
4. Do CRWM missionaries need to raise their own support?
5. What about denominational Ministry Shares?
6. What is a missions partnership?
7. How can our church stay connected with our missionaries?
8. How can I get involved with CRWM?
9. How can our church get involved with CRWM?
CRWM has missionaries in more than 20 countries, and through partnerships our work extends to more than 40 countries. CRWM has about 60 career missionary positions (110 adults). CRWM also has more than 100 short-term missionaries at work overseas during any given year.
CRWM has a budget of $14.5 million (US) for the 2012-2013 fiscal year (July 1, 2012 - June 30, 2013).
CRWM receives its income from several different sources, including:
- Ministry Shares - 35.9%
- Above Ministries Shares (churches and individuals financially supporting a missionary or field project) - 55.3%
- Estates - 4.8%
- Field Income - 2.6%
- Investment/Miscellaneous - 1.4%
For more information about CRWM's income and budget breakdown, please see Where Does My Money Go.
The average cost* of a missionary couple is $102,500 CAD / $127,000 USD. The average cost of a single missionary is $92,000 CAD/$99,000 USD.
Allocation of personnel costs for a CRWM missionary:
- Salary - 51%
- Medical - 15%
- Housing - 8%
- Travel - 7%
- Pension - 6%
- Other - 5%
- Taxes - 4%
- Administration - 3%
* The average is based on the total cost of all Canadian/U.S. career missionaries divided by the number of Canadian/U.S. career missionaries. The U.S. average is higher than the Canadian average because of insurance costs and the larger number of U.S. missionaries in countries with higher costs of living.
Missionaries are asked to actively challenge churches and individuals to help raise at least 60% of their total costs. For a missionary couple, that number is $61,500 CAD/$76,200 USD. For single missionaries, it's $55,200 CAD/$59,400 USD. If a career or associate missionary's support is short any given month, Christian Reformed World Missions has covenanted to provide for their financial needs.
Ministry Shares supports about 40% of the cost to send and keep missionaries overseas. The additional 60% comes from church and individual donations given in addition to Ministry Shares.
Over 74% of organized CRCNA congregations partner with at least one Christian Reformed World Missions missionary or project.
In Romans 10:15, the apostle Paul identifies two important components of missions – those who "go" and those who "send." Churches and missionaries are partners in missions, two halves of a team that God uses to extend His Kingdom worldwide. They encourage one another, pray for each other, and share progress and challenges. Through their partnership, God is glorified and both parties are strengthened in their vision and mission.
- Prayer - Sign up for our weekly ePray. Publish and distribute missionary prayer letters (using offline methods for countries with security concerns.
- Communication - Organize a group of volunteers who will regularly write or send emails to your missionaries.
- Support - Take special offerings for CRWM at Pentecost. Support a special project that is an integral part of your missionary's ministry.
- Visit - Include your missionaries in your congregation's day-to-day activities when they are in North America. Investigate the possibility of sending your pastor or members of the congregation to visit your missionaries on the field.
- Volunteer - CRWM offers short-term volunteer opportunities ranging from a few weeks to a year.
- Partner - CRWM sends partners to serve with schools and organizations that share a common vision for ministry.
- A Career - CRWM offers long-term opportunities to extend Christ's reign among the nations.
- Missions Advocate - Appoint a CRWM representative (Missions Advocate) for your church.
- Poster Contest - Have your children submit a picture for the annual poster contest.
- Resources - Use CRWM missions resources.
- Contact your Regional Missions Mobilizers (RMMs) for assistance - CRWM has RMMs in various areas who are trained and eager to help individual congregations develop their vision for missions. Find the RMM in your classis.