<----Return to all volunteer opportunities
Community Ministry Associate
Location: Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
CRCNA Partner: Various ministries
Number of Positions: 1 to 3
Expected Length of Service: Two weeks to four months
Dates Opportunity is Available: Open, depending on field availability
Purpose: This short-term position is designed to allow the participant to explore ministry options that bridge between the church and the community. The focus is to develop an approach to serve “with” the community (as opposed to doing “for” or “to” the community). Assignments include joining existing incarnational ministries, taking innovative approaches to revealing Christ’s Kingdom, and a wide variety of specialties.
Possible areas for ministry include:
• Environmental projects – recycling projects in schools, disaster mitigation training, soil conservation, organic agriculture, environmental education, etc.
• Incarnational ministry outreach among at-risk youth, families and communities – participate with churches in marginal communtities to develop a missional approach;
• Family and marriage counseling -- participate with churches and community groups to develop appropriate structures, training for leaders, and restorative practices, in a sustainable way;
• Community health -- work with Christian medical agencies in the needy areas of the city and countryside. Any degree of expertise is accepted, as long as there is a willingness to serve.
• Small business development -- come alongside entrepreneurs to assist in making a business plan, improve accounting practices, and promote sustainable development.
• Microcredit and community savings groups -- learn, practice, and train in the context of an existing program in marginal communities.
1. Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ
2. CRCNA member in good standing
3. Relevant ministry experience and training
4. Some Spanish ability required; language learning is available in-country
5. Cultural sensitivity and high moral standards are expected in areas of public testimony and personal conduct
6. Flexible, adaptable, and able to view life with a sense of humor.
1. Growth in your faith and relationship with God
2. The chance to participate in a worthwhile missions experience
3. Opportunities for professional development
4. Preparation for future missionary endeavors
5. A chance to learn from, serve and be served by people from a different culture
6. Serve as an encouragement to Christians in the Dominican Republic
7. Apply your current gifts and talents and discover some new ones
8. Gain personal satisfaction by seeing first-hand how your prayers and contributions to Christian Reformed World Missions (CRWM) have impacted Dominican Republic communities
9. Assist in educating and raising awareness within North America about the Dominican Republic's social/political situation
10. Expenses directly related to this volunteer opportunity are tax-deductible.
Support Services Provided: CRWM agrees to provide:
• orientation materials as well as ongoing logistics and support to meet the needs of the volunteers, local community and CRWM’s country staff
• On-field supervision by a designated missionary, with weekly meetings
• On-going on-field pastoral and personal counseling as needed
• Opportunity to help volunteers link their individual/church’s mission and vision to work being done
Requirements of the Volunteer:
1. Complete and submit a CRWM volunteer application form
2. Provide a current (within 2 years) criminal background check; including a vulnerable sector search
3. Attend an orientation session in Grand Rapids, MI or Burlington, ON when possible, or participate in alternative (phone- or web-based) options.
4. Adhere to ‘CRCNA Standards of Conduct’, ‘CRCNA Crisis Management Policy’ and any other applicable policies and/or procedures
5. Participation in CRCNA Dominican Country Team (DCT) meetings, and the appropriate partner ministry meetings
6. Cultural sensitivity and high moral standards are expected in areas of public testimony and personal conduct
7. Follow the procedures as indicated in the appropriate agency manual
8. Agree with and adhere to the CRCNA DCT’s vision, mission, and policies
9. Raise all of the needed support and ministry-related funds
10. Fulfill cultural and ministry orientation as prioritized and provided by the DCT at the beginning of field assignment.
Financial Obligations of the Volunteer:
Please note that costs are estimated and listed in U.S. funds. Estimate is for a single person; assume 1.5 times this amount for a couple and double this amount for a family with one to three children)
• Travel to country - varies; typically $600-$800 r/t
• Food & lodging - $800/month
• In country transportation - $300/month
• Tourist visa - $10
• Orientation/language learning $100
• Administrative expenses/communication (on-field) $50/month
• Ministry expenses $400-$600
TOTAL Estimated funds needed - dependent on length of stay, plus cost of airfare
Additional Costs – depending on each individual
• Vaccinations, and prescription medication
• Medical and travel insurance
• Passport (must be valid for at least 6 months beyond date of return)
• Communication (i.e. cell phone, internet)