HIV/AIDS Prevention Education
Location: Negros, Panay and Luzon, Philippines
Number of Positions: Up to six North American young adults
Expected Length of Service: Approximately 6 weeks
Dates Opportunity is Available: 2012 dates have passed; future teams to be determined
Purpose: Promote HIV prevention through workshops in schools, churches, and other settings.
1. Work with Filipino young people to provide HIV/AIDS education workshops.
2. Be willing to share your Christian faith with others.
3. Build relationships with the community by staying open and flexible to the culture around you.
4. Live in community with Filipino Christians by working alongside Filipino young people and by staying with host families.
5. Complete recommended reading and orientation before departure to the country.
6. Report back to your supporting churches and individuals upon your return.
1. Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ.
2. Experience, training and/or interest in any of the following:
- nursing, public health, or HIV/AIDS
- musical ability
- youth ministry
3. Ability to do physical work in a tropical climate and under challenging conditions.
4. Willingness to follow the community’s leadership in the project.
5. Good oral and written communications skills, as well as reporting, planning and organizational skills.
6. Compassionate and respectful of other cultures.
7. Proactive and able to work with minimal supervision in ambiguous situations.
8. Flexible, adaptable and able to view life with a sense of humor.
1. Growth in your faith and relationship with God.
2. An opportunity to foster new attitudes, perceptions and relationships.
3. A chance to learn from, serve and be served by a different culture.
4. The opportunity to share your Christian faith with others who may not know the Gospel.
5. Serve as an encouragement to Christians in the Philippines.
6. Apply your current gifts and talents and discover some new ones.
7. Develop a personal perspective on poverty, missions and/or development work.
8. Gain personal satisfaction by seeing first-hand how your prayers and contributions to CRWM have impacted communities in the Philippines
9. Expenses directly related to this volunteer opportunity are tax-deductible.
Support Services Provided: CRWM agrees to provide:
• Orientation materials as well as ongoing logistics and support to meet the needs of the volunteers, local community and CRWM's country staff;
• The support of our CRWM missionaries and their local partners on-field;
• Debriefing assistance both on the field and after returning to North America;
• Opportunity to help volunteers link their individual/church's mission and vision to work being done.
Requirements of the volunteer:
1. Complete and submit a CRWM volunteer application form;
2. Provide a current (within 2 years) criminal background check; including a vulnerable sector search;
3. Raise prayer and financial support by inviting individuals, businesses and /or churches to give to this opportunity;
4. Attend an orientation session in the Home Office (when possible, or by phone);
5. Adhere to CRCNA Code of Conduct, Crisis Management Policy and any other applicable policies and/or procedures.
Financial Obligations of the Volunteer: Please note that costs are estimated and listed in US funds
TOTAL estimated funds needed - $4000 (subject to change)
Additional costs (depending on each individual)
Vaccinations and required prescription medication
Medical and Travel insurance