Location: Lilongwe, Malawi
Type of Group: Service & Learning Work Teams
Number of Teams: multiple teams of up to 4 people
CRCNA Ministry: World Renew
World Renew Partner: Nkhoma Mission Hospital
Time Commitment: 2 weeks – 2 months
Dates Opportunity Is Available: current
Purpose: Work with community workers to repair homes on the Nkhoma Mission Hospital compound that provides housing for hospital staff. The goal of the program is to provide safe and secure housing and support for the work of Nkhoma Mission Hospital ways that will express our love for, encourage, and strengthen their ability to provide quality healthcare in Malawi.
- Phase One: Completed
- Current teams: Repair and paint walls, doors, furnishing shelves, wardrobes, gutters and broken walls as needed in each home;
- Complete recommended reading, and orientation before departure to the country;
- Possibility for teachers to assist in area school or in the Mission Hospital.
- Open to individuals 18 years of age or older;
- Construction experience required ie. painters, carpenter, builders;
- Flexibility to changes in schedules and work needed;
- Ability and willingness to do physical work;
- Teaching – education graduate (see above);
- Willingness to follow the community’s leadership during the project;
- Willingness to demonstrate a Christian lifestyle consistent with Malawian cultural norms at all times during the project;
- Raise prayer and financial support by inviting individuals, businesses and/or churches to give to your opportunity.
Financial Requirements of the volunteers: costs are in USD$ and are subject to change to reflect actual costs at time of placement
$2,000.00 - $2,200.00US Airfare from an international airport (subject to change to reflect actual cost of airfare)
$30.00 Trip Protection Insurance (est. cost subject to change to reflect actual cost)
$50.00 Office Support (printing, postage etc.)
$500.00 Estimated for needed Immunizations and anti-malarials
$150.00 Estimated for Passport application if needed
Basic in-country costs:
-$100 per day for 10 days for lodging, food and transportation to and from the airport, internet, cell phoneProject expenses:
- $1,100.00 per team member to assist in covering project costs.
Expenses for souvenirs and snacks or an extra outing that the group may choose to do, are not covered in the above expenses.
Total Estimated Costs:
$5,300 US (2 weeks), $5,600 US (1 months), and $6,800 US (2 months), including airfare, depending on city of departure.
- Growth in your faith and relationship with God;
- Exploration of the world of missions;
- Offers the opportunity to be introduced to and learn from a new culture, people and place;
- It allows first-hand work with a partner and the challenges and opportunities that that entails;
- Serve as an encouragement to Christians in Malawi;
- Help make a difference in the world through your service;
- Develop a personal perspective on missions, community development work;
- Assist in educating and raising awareness within North America about the work of World Renew in Malawi and the work of Nkhoma Mission Hospital.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in applying for this opportunity, please contact World Renew's Global Volunteer Program today.
Back to "International Opportunities"
To contact ServiceLink, please email us at email@example.com.