Opportunity Title: Club Assistant/Driver
Location: Montreal, Quebec – Old Port
Number of Positions: We need 1 couple or 2 singles (of same sex - to share apt.) at any given time.
CRCNA Ministry Involved: The Ministry to Seafarers www.ministrytoseafarers.org
Time Commitment: 1 week to 1 month
Dates Opportunities Are Available: Please check with us to confirm available dates. Currently, the following dates are open for 2013:
Purpose: Goals for volunteers are to serve seafarers that come into the Montreal port and help ministry staff in serving them by driving, helping to place phone calls, and assisting them in whatever way possible while they are at the Seafarers’ Center. The hope is that volunteers will engage the seafarers in conversations that may lead to discussions about faith in Christ, as well as offer Bibles and other free Christian literature to them.
1) Drive ministry vans, transporting seafarers from ship to center – and return;
2) Assisting seafarers at the center in various capacities;
3) Work in tuck shop; place phone calls; serve seafarers;
4) Help to clean the center at the end of the day.
1) Mature Christian committed to serving Jesus Christ
2) Be compassionate, respectful of other cultures;
3) Proactive and able to work with minimal supervision;
4) Flexible, adaptable and able to view life with a sense of humour;
5) A Canadian or US resident.
Expectations of the volunteer:
1) Work at the center from 5pm-11pm;
2) Be a team player while working with staff;
3) Be willing to share your Christian faith with others;
4) Pray for the effectiveness of outreach to seafarers.
Logistics and Budget: please note that costs are estimated
Travel to Montreal - M2S will reimburse some to all travel expenses depending on length of volunteer time.
Food - not supplied; grocery store is nearby the apartment, so cost depends on personal eating habits
Lodging – furnished apartment provided by M2S, includes completely equipped kitchen
Local transportation – M2S supplies metro passes for unlimited travel in Montreal
TOTAL Estimated funds needed: $200 - $500 CDN depending on length of travel and stay at the M2S center
Additional Costs – depending on each individual
Communication – volunteers are asked to pay for any long distance calls placed at the apartment which exceed $5/month
Tourist trip - if so desired
1) Opportunity to grow in faith as you seek to serve;
2) Great opportunity to check out Montreal sights and attractions - there are many!
2) An opportunity to foster new attitudes, perceptions and relationships;
3) A chance to learn from, serve and be served by a different culture;
4) The opportunity to share your Christian faith with others who may not know the Gospel;
5) Serve as an encouragement to Christians from India, Russia, Eastern Europe, Philippines, and other countries;
6) Apply your current gifts and talents and discover some new ones;
7) Develop a personal perspective on diverse cultures, missions, and service;
8) Gain personal satisfaction by seeing first-hand how your prayers and contributions to The Ministry to Seafarers have impacted Seafarers.
Support Services Provided: ServiceLink and The Ministry to Seafarers agree to provide:
- orientation materials as well as ongoing logistics and support to meet the needs of the volunteers;
- consultation and/or visits by missionary staff when available;
- opportunity to help volunteers link their individual/church’s mission and vision to work being done;
If you are interested in applying for this volunteer opportunity, please complete a ServiceLink application form and submit it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To read a story from volunteers who served a the Montreal Seafarers Center, click here.
Back to 'North America' Opportunities