Third Third of Life Toolkit
Need something fast?
Check out our Resources by Topic list
Resources for ministry with people ages 55 and over
Welcome to the Third Third of Life toolkit!
Given the rapidly increasing number of people in the third third of life—ages 55 and older—the time is ripe for churches to think creatively about ministry with, for, and by older people.
We’ve gathered the best resources to help church leaders and others understand and address the joys, challenges, and needs of an aging population.
You’ll find tools to help you and your congregation
- develop a biblical vision of healthy personhood in the third third of life.
- understand the five main tasks facing people ages 55 and older.
- think deeply about faith formation and how it addresses the many facets of aging.
- provide opportunities for people in the third third of life to fully engage in ministry.
- and much more!
In this section we've gathered excellent books, articles, and videos on a wide variety of topics relevant to the third third of life:
- Faith Formation
- Church Community
- Retirement, Vocation, and Legacy
- Family Relationships
- Emotional and Mental Health
- Physical Health and Dying
In this foundational article, Syd Hielema shares an overview of what God’s Word has to say about the place of older people in the body of Christ.
Mark Stephenson explores five crucial questions that people in the third third of life ask as they begin to redefine themselves.
If you’re just getting into ministry to and with people in the third third of life, here’s a list of the best of the best resources in this toolkit—they’re a great place to start!
Questions? Phone a Friend!
If you’re part of a Christian Reformed church and you’d like to talk with someone about using these tools in ministry with people in the third third of life, contact one of Faith Formation Ministries’ Regional Catalyzers.