Thank you for visiting the website for Worship Ministries of the Christian Reformed Church. If you can’t find what you are looking for don’t hesitate to contact us. More information and a bulletin announcement for offerings can be found in this document, Introducing Worship Ministries.
Worship Ministries desires that every worshiping community in the Christian Reformed Church in North America experience vibrant gospel proclamation and worship that is directed to God, is biblically based and theologically Reformed, and is characterized by creativity, discernment, spiritual vitality, the faith formation of all worshipers, and a call to serve others.
Enriched by a great diversity of ethnicities, communities, styles, and gifts, Worship Ministries supports and strengthens biblically grounded and theologically Reformed worship in the Christian Reformed Church in North America. (read more)
What We Do
Worship Ministries seeks to support the local church in the area of worship by listening, coaching, and resourcing.
Listening - we are eager to connect with you.
- Email or call us with your questions, joys, concerns, etc. Email: [email protected]; Phone: 1-877-279-9994
- ZOOM conversations - share and learn from other worship leaders electronically
- Video Conference - we can use technology to connect
Workshops/Education - we offer workshops or coaching to assist you in your ministry. Some of the options available:
- Consultation or coaching to help identify and meet your worship needs
- Developing worship guidelines as an anchor for your worship ministry
- Understanding the current CRC worship context (a look at the CRC’s worship history in the context of musical styles, church history, and world context)
- Worship 101 (basic foundations of worship)
- Intergenerational worship
- Is Someone Missing? (This workshop will take a beginning look at practices from churches intentionally including children through older adults, individuals with disabilities, and folks of different backgrounds to better represent the body of Christ in full, active, and conscious participation.)
- Hymn Festivals - Congregational Song
- Copyright and the Church
Resourcing - check out all of the great worship resources available on our Resources page.
Elly Boersma, Region 2, Eastern Canada (Chair)
Born and raised in BC, Elly has spent the past four years in St Catharines, ON, where she serves as Pastor of Worship at Covenant CRC. Elly is passionate about engaging the church in congregational song, incorporating all ages in worship leadership, and gaining a deeper understanding of the role worship plays in shaping us and sending us out.
Gary Bomhof, Region 1, Canada West (Vice-chair)
Gary was born in the Netherlands and immigrated to Victoria, B.C., Canada in 1954. He graduated from Trinity Christian College in 1972 and then from Calvin Seminary in 1976. Gary has served five CRC churches - Mt. Brydges CRC, Maranatha CRC (Lethbridge, AB), Covenant CRC in Winnipeg, the CRC in Drayton, ON, and finally in Red Deer, AB, where he retired in 2017. Gary continues to reside in Red Deer.
Ben Hoekman, Calvin Theological Seminary Student Rep
Ben was born and raised in Grand Rapids and Holland, MI. A 2017 graduate of Kuyper College, where he majored Pre-Seminary and Music & Worship, he currently serves as Director of Worship Arts at Third CRC in Kalamazoo, MI. Ben is also pursuing his Master of Divinity (M.Div) through the distance learning program at Calvin Theological Seminary and enjoys being a guest preacher at CRC congregations throughout West Michigan. He especially enjoys teaching congregations about worship and serving as a mentor for young worship leaders.
April Jackson - At Large
April pastors with her husband, Melvin Jackson, as pastor of GRACE Unlimited CRC. She is also a worship leader and teaches workshops on Praise & Worship. She emboldens believers everywhere to broaden, even deepen their understanding and experience of worshiping in His presence. She is mother of four, and grandmom of three.
Joyce Jackson – Region 3, U.S. East
Joyce serves God as a Worship Leader at Madison Avenue Christian Reformed Church in Paterson, NJ. She is also the Administrative Assistant for the church, whose Mission Statement is “Meeting needs-Transforming lives-By the Power of Jesus.”
Darlene Silversmith - Region 6, USA West
Darlene Silversmith lives in Crownpoint, NM where she currently serves as an elder at Crownpoint CRC. She has recently finished studying for and has been given a License to Exhort in her classis.